While it’s hardly the first time this nation has experienced a great resistance to our leadership, it is the first time that our movement is fueled by lessons learned from generations past coupled with amazing technology that allows us to be continually connected to one another. It’s quite a powerful combination. But, in the noise and confusion of it all, I’ve found myself thinking about those who resisted long before this awesome technology was a part of our toolbox. Check out this beautiful list of New Years Rulin’s from Woody Guthrie. If you are a fan of Woody Guthrie, you will love this full list as I did. But think about your own life and what we are facing now – How many of these (substitute the people in your life for the folks in his) would be on your list? What would you change? What would you add to it?
Here’s what stood out for me at this juncture in time.
- WORK MORE AND BETTER
- WORK BY A SCHEDULE
- EAT GOOD – FRUIT – VEGETABLES – MILK
- DRINK VERY SCANT IF ANY
- WEAR CLEAN CLOTHES – LOOK GOOD
- READ LOTS OF GOOD BOOKS
- LISTEN TO RADIO A LOT
- DON’T GET LONESOME
- STAY GLAD
- KEEP HOPING MACHINE RUNNING
- DREAM GOOD
- HAVE COMPANY BUT DON’T WASTE TIME
- PLAY AND SING GOOD
- DANCE BETTER
- HELP WIN WAR – BEAT FASCISM
- LOVE MAMA
- LOVE PAPA (then he said, LOVE PETE, which had to be Pete Seeger…)
- LOVE EVERYBODY
- MAKE UP YOUR MIND
- WAKE UP AND FIGHT
What strikes me most in Woody’s list is his clear commitment to self care along with his love for others and the world. What does your version of this list include as you balance your own well-being with the healing of the bigger communities we’re all a part of? What brings you joy when you’re not busy writing letters or making phone calls? Do you quilt, cook, hike, sing, dance, read, nap, eat chocolate, walk your dog, play with your kids, your grand-kids, your neighbors kids? Whatever you do for the world today, put yourself on the list too…you belong at the top (but the middle will work…)
Ideas and Information
Resistance Recess -The week of February 18–26 is the first recess of the 115th Congress—time specifically set aside for members of Congress to meet with constituents and get the pulse of the communities they represent. This is the perfect time to raise our voices. See what events your elected officials’ are holding or plan your own events. Check out this fabulous guide from United State of Women about how to get the most out of your Town Meeting or in-district congressional meeting.
The Ides Of Trump! AWESOME, FUN, EASY action. Mail a postcard (or two or ten) on March 15, 2017 to the President. Say what’s in your heart. Then enjoy the image of millions of postcards arriving at the same time!
President Donald J. Trump
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Swing Left! Control of the House in 2018 will be decided by a handful of Swing Districts. Find your closest Swing District and join its team to learn about actions and to support progressives in that district.
White House comment line (newly reopened!) 202-456-1111 (I just called and got a recording saying the office was closed even though it was during “office hours” but the number may come in handy…)
MoveOn is hosting weekly Sunday calls with key leaders (last night’s call had 50,000!) It’s a great way to get tips on strategic priorities for the coming week, hear from resistance leaders and start to plan actions. Listen to past calls and info for February 26 call.
Inspiration and Laughter
Okay – so my question is – do you have to be a dog lover to find this hysterical? I crack up every time I see it. (apologies to my cat-loving friends!)
The resistance is strong and getting stronger – because of you – HOPE is evident:
- Town Hall meetings are JAM PACKED to overflowing all over the country to oppose Trump’s agenda.
- Stay on travel ban upheld by 9th Circuit Court AND Virginia’s Judge Leonie Brinkema determined that Trump’s executive order likely violated constitutional protections against religious discrimination.
- Flynn stepped down. Or Flynn was fired. Or…
- New York Times reveals that Trump aides were in contact with Russian intelligence during campaign.
- 4,712 Huddles (action #2 from the Women’s March) were organized and met to set an intention and a plan going forward.
- 50,000 people participated in a MoveOn sponsored phone call on Sunday, February 19 with resistance leaders.
- Staffers of elected officials can not keep up with incoming mail and phone calls.
- Professional athletes are saying no to White House invitations.
Trump’s top choice for national security adviser, Bob Harward, said no to the job.
And finally, these beautiful words.
Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world.
All thing break. And all things can be mended.
Not with time, as they say, but with intention.
So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly unconditionally.
The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you. L.R. Knost
Here’s to you – here’s to us, all in it together.